Tuesday, February 08, 2005

CNY Travel Adventure

Sat ( 5th Feb 2005)

Well, I decided to start my post from the day before of my actually Chinese New Year traveling adventure. So this was the last day I was going to be in KK for another 6 months. Kinda saddening if you tell me. I was trying to get everything settled and also to squeeze as many appointments with my friends as possible. But guess what? Things never always work out as you dreamed it. I got my last pay check at Lintas then my boss…yes!!! My BOSS sent me to Center Point to meet my other ex-colleagues. They were demanding so much of my time yet I missed working with them and also hanging out with them. They make you feel so young at times.

Then I met my friend that is studying in Curtin Miri. She is taking the same course as me. Man, when it comes to the same subjects that we take …gosh can she tell me how good everything is. Yes…she is the better student than I. The one that gets the A’s that I dream for. So I had a great time with her cuz (1) we didn’t go into the subject of uni
(2) she is really good for you when it comes to shopping as she knows where to get things (3) she updates me on her relationship with her “romantic” bf….just a good reminder that I am still single hahahahha.

After that I rushed home to meet Arthur for our long awaited swing date. Before we both went on our separate ways of future studies, he used to walk over to my house to have long chats on the swing in the evenings. Yes that sounds so romantic but there was never any passion/love in it. Just friendly chats bout life. He really missed it so he set one that day to only stand me up. How dare he!!! Things have been really weird between us this time that he came back from Russia on the holiday. He asked me out to watch a movie almost everyday since he came back. He also would bring me out for dinner and ask me funny questions like “Aren’t I perfect for you?” (Now, how do you answer a question like that when one doesn’t even have an inkling of romantic notion for a friend?) and such statements like “Even though you think no one would date you, I would”. So the relationship gets freakier by the moment as I started contemplating him as boyfriend material and we started flirting. I even got him a Valentine’s Day gift which he didn’t even appreciate at all. Stupid guy!!! So now its all in a dead end and maybe just a play time for that nerd. Life is just not worth it if we ponder over this kind of stupid things! Right?? Right??



Sun (6th Feb 2005)

I woke up at 6 a.m. to bake the cookies that I promised my best friend Wilson. Wil, you better appreciate it and not complain that it is not nice ah. Though I appreciate all those time you, Wilson Chin, swallowed all the kind of food I cooked for you please this time came with lots of sweat and blood and lack of sleep so please love it for my sake ahahhaha. My parents woke up at 8 a.m. and the chaos starts for their 10 a.m. flight. Everyone was getting ready to go to the airport. My family anyway! I had a later flight at about noon so I was responsible to send them to the airport with (YEAH!) my dad’s Perdana. Man, I was so terover “bangga” even though its nothing but it felt great that my dad trusted me to drive his precious baby. So, I came back and did some last minute stuff while waiting for my uncle to pick me to catch my flight. Things were uneventful in the airport except for the fact that this guy that was supposed to date me “hersley chocolate” sms me to say goodbye. That was so so so sweet! I had tom yam for lunch then went up the plane. There was a slight delay as one of the passenger’s had chicken pox and were not allowed on the plane. So she and her mom had to stay back. But let’s say they did not go without a fight!!!

Reached KLIA on time to meet my parents. Gosh, I was so glad you could connect up to the wireless internet there for free. We had another flight to Kedah where my dad’s hometown was. It was a 5 hour wait. Was so glad to reach Kedah at last. My young cousins were there. Looks the same only grown up a lil more hahahahha. Still cute and real clingy. Here is she right next to me now hahahaha. But then kids are like that aren’t they. But one thing is for sure…I’m not getting married early. Kids can be a burden from enjoying the days of your life. I don’t mind getting them later on but I must have the best of my single hood.

Oh yeah…we had a real nice dinner with my uncle. He brought us for a nice dinner at a restaurant then when we were leaving we disrupted the entrance of the bride to her wedding dinner. Gosh…that was so embarrassing and we didn’t even know her at all. Then, my auntie who came visit us in Sabah during December decided to thank us by bringing us out for supper. I think I must have gained like 5 kgs since arriving.


Mon ( 7th Feb 2004)

Woke up real late then had breakfast. Prawn mee….yum!! So much nice food here in Kedah. I’m so glad I don’t live here long term. Met a lot of my cousins to have a nice chat. Then slept in the afternoon…cuz apparently I am jet-lag. More than I noticed!!! Oh then we went shopping in the mall which was really cool. I got a real sexy dress that my mom disapproves of but you don’t go tell her. I will hunt you down! My dad was driving this real old car and he had trouble driving out from the car park as it was a slope. So embarrassing! All of us had to get out of the car and whenever he tried the slope the car would die. He would then have to restart it again and try again. All the cars behind him were laughing and the security guard was stopping traffic. It was real hilarious. But we did eventually get it up after 5 tries. = ) Then at night my dad brought us to the market. Real nice place….got real cool and cheap handphone thingies!!! Had supper again…hahahah…with my family. We talked bout the silly times when we were younger and the times when we moved from KL to KK. Wonder what life would have been like if I did not move???


Tues ( 8th Feb 2005)

Had to wake up early cause my lil cousins came in and jumped and the bed. They are real cute but people like me also need my privacy at times. We went to Bukit Pinang to visit my older cousins (all married ones except for one…I intend to follow in her footsteps…which is enjoy life first marriage a little later) and then to see my other grandmother. Yes…my grandfather had 2 wives but that is another story. The day was gone with visiting and helping my mom cook the traditional reunion dinner. Now.. I’m online getting my blog updated and hiding from my little cousins…..hahahahhah…!!!

Wed ( 9th Feb 2005)

Yeah!!! The first day of Chinese New Year. The best part of of this festival. Here is where we collect the ang pau from my dad’s many many brothers and sisters. And guess what? Most of my cousins are married so I get to collect from them too. Such a wonderful money making opportunity. I love traditions! When I do get older or married, I want to keep all this wonderful traditions. It is what that makes me Chinese. My family do not really practice it but I would love to relive it back into our daily lives. Ok…so not the troublesome one that are not so beneficial but all this family reunion dinners and sweet memories of family should be kept.

The day started a bit earlier with a hearty breakfast then the day just consist of waiting for all the relatives to arrive and visit. Kedah just had to pick today to be its hottest day….just when I would be wearing my cheong sam top which buttons all the way to the top of my neck. By the time I took it off my neck has lots of painful itchy rashes. Shesh…all this to look pretty! Women can be a little dense when it comes to beauty and fashion.

So, my many cousins and relatives arrive. I notice that they really acknowledge the men of the family. The women just go on with their petty conversations. I did see that for my case…my brother gets all the slaps in the back and the career talk. The only mention of me is “how old are u?” kind of questions. My sister might be a little too young to be included into the adult talk. But then again if I would want to have the Chinese traditions a constant member in my life I would also have to accept the fact that the “men superior attitude” plays a very important role in this tradition thingie.

Once you get older (like around my age) you start to notice more than the red packet filled with precious money in your hand. My other grandmother (the one that is not my dad’s biological mother) hurt her leg and the son & family she is living with has lost a very valuable cook. Not only that the CNY tradition has to be continued with cooking of vinegar pork legs which is quite a tedious dish. Trust me I know!! What pains me is looking at her walk around painfully yet there are carpets everywhere that could cause her to trip. I wish to assist her but am afraid to hurt her pride, as the younger grandmother (my dad’s biological mother) has no problem walking but she is also not so young anymore. I notice that she doses off to sleep on the very spot she is sitting every 2 hours she is awake and all that visiting wore her out. Her health is not so good and her eating diet is not so sufficient as she is quite picky bout what she eats. My dad’s eldest sister got into an accident and the family has one less of a helping hand. Even though her income is cut to a complete nil with her immobility (temporary only don’t you worry) she cheerfully gives out ang pau to her all nieces and nephews. What strength!

My two other cousins (the teenage boys staying in the same house) has changed completely to be real independent but they still do not converse with my little sis & I. I don’t understand why but trust me they love my every loving brother. Shesh! So annoying.

So that’s how the day goes by…with lots of thinking and observing. Now going to take a bath. So hot!! Lots of fireworks flying about outside but cant be observed from my room or any easy assessable spot. DAMN!!


Thurs ( 10th Feb 2005)

The second day of Chinese New Year has arrived. I’m really glad yet kinda sad at the same time. I will leave Kedah today for Melacca at around 5 pm. One weird thing happened. My grandmother got angry at my mom and made her cry. I was so mad that someone would bully my beloved mother and make her sad & cry. Truthfully, I am very protective of my mom and also my family. Everyone calls me the second mother of the house. When my mom is not able to fulfill her duties, I have to step in to take over especially now when I can drive. I feel awful that now I am studying in the university far away from home and there is no one to take care of my darling mommy.

So, to cheer my mom up we brought her to the shopping mall to shop. We brought along our two male cousins (the teenagers…one that is a jay chow wannabe) and guess what is to happen but the worst. The rest went bowling while my mom & I went our separate ways shopping. My cousin the jay-chow-wannabe just was ”so smart” to leave his hand phone on the chair and thus as usual…as we all know…it got stolen. My dad was so “stupid” to actually buy him another one to replace the one he lost. Please tell me why men are so dumb at time and please explain to me why my dad did that? Cause till now I still do not understand why he did it when our family itself is in a financial stress at the moment.

Well, time to leave Kedah and fly to Melacca. Ok...not literally...we flew back to KLIA then met up with my other aunty that is also residing in KK then we both drove back to Melacca. Yum yum...when we arrived he had our infamous Melaccan "lok lok" for supper...but I was too tired to eat much anyway...so sad!!!

Fri (11th Feb 2005)

The day was wonderful as usual. Woke up at around 10 am due to the constant bugging from my po po that girls shouldn't sleep in so late. We had a hearty breakfast together chatting bout the old times. Gosh....i missed her so much. Then she got up to prepare lunch only to be surprised by a knock on her gate. It was her eldest daughter. All her four lovely children decided to surprise her this year with a large family reunion. The day went wonderfully by with lots of chatching up and all. My "tai yi" (my mom's eldest sister) was there with her husband and beloved daughter & spouse...as any Singaporean would be...talking fast and decisive. Then there was my "sai yi" (my mom's elder sister...No. 2) who lives in Sabah and comes visit us every weekend to have chats bout everything in life....her son....*sigh* really looks like a Hong Kong Actor...and guess what???..he has a gf at sucha young age of 14 hahahahah. Then there my mom (daughter No. 3) and us...then there is my uncle who is the youngest and only son...making him the precious one in the Ng family history(not anything big....he just carries on the family name with offsprings!!!).

Our uncle brought us to eat the most excellent cendol and ice kacang...this whole holiday was all about food and I must have gained a lot more weight than I should. I could already feel that the pants are a bit too tight for me...hahaha!

Dinner was one big fuss with the maid coming & the big load of family members and looking for a restaurent during this holiday peak season...either it is closed or packed to the fullest. My poor grandma was practically starving before she got any food. She had to munch on white rice first......so pooor thing.....!!!

Sat (12th Feb 2005)

Had to leave po po early. Couldnt even enjoy her lovely lunch that she was about to prepare. We had to drive down early cuz had to send me to my condo in Puchong. I feel so bad bout all of this but there is no choice for me. We then arrived in time for lunch so I directed them to IOI mall for some delicious food from Nam Heong. My sister finally found the shop of her dreams....full of Japenese manga....and bought herself a bagful before going back....at least everyone's shopping list was fulfill. The worst thing was my bro accidentally left the camera in my bag...so here I was with a camera but no charger.....hilarious!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home