Thursday, December 13, 2007

To be or not to be....

Accidents are horrible things. Most of the time it is both person's fault...some times it is one blur person hitting a stationary object but some unfortunate times, it is one person's fault that causes harm to many people. And here, in my blog and me personally, there is no judgment....seriously!

But there comes a time where you have to decide...justice or personal safety. And 2 days ago, I was met with that dilemma that turned my eyes away from negative disgust into positive awe of law enforcers. As many blame the police for their lack of competence in maintaining the law in the country, I stand by the fact that they are doing their best...but still in need of improvement as everything else in the world. I see what they have to go through daily and I see the care they put into dealing with some horrendous issues. My salutes to them....*salute*

A fellow regular customer pulls up into my driveway at the petrol station. Soon after, he backs out of the driveway. I find it suspicious but on the other hand glad to be rid of a customer and more work. Moments later, I hear screaming. His wife and kid races into the store pretending to look around but fearfully staring out the door every 5 seconds.

My mind draws up the conclusion that a fight is breaking out between her husband and some other guy. I conjure up scenarios of me bravely walking out, waving my personal duress alarm, warning them to stop fighting or I will call the cops. As I muster up the bravery to do so, two figures in blue walk past me followed by screaming from 'husband'. Too late for me to be a hero...the police were here. And the screams were for them...claiming mis-arrest.

Half an hour later of screaming and shouting from one side and patient talking from police, his car rego plate was taken and the police drive off. I wonder if the car is a stolen vehicle. The 'wife' and 'kid' walks of towards home....and the man enters his rego plate-less car and drove off. His 'wife' seemed pissed.

10 minutes later the police return to find the car and its residents missing. My co-worker and I refuse to look at them hoping they do not ask us for a statement regarding the police harassment screaming issue...more hassle than it is. However, the issue was more urgent. Because the man drove off and he did not have a license...the only way to catch him for a higher offense was so that we make a statement he drove a car without a license plate. The unfortunate part was that the police were not able to catch him red handed for it.

As the police officer politely ask me if I would like to give a statement, my heart beats faster and my palms feel sweaty due to the close proximity to a P-O-L-I-C-E O-F-F-I-C-E-R. I felt uncomfortable and scared of making him mad. Sadly, I did not know....if I should be a witness or not. If I do, as a regular customer, he knows me and he can bash me up any day plus get away with it. But if I don't, I am letting free a man who can one day hurt many innocent people in the freeway.

Sadly, I said NO and to this day feel like a horrible guilty injustice freak. What would you have done?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home