Monday, June 13, 2011

Releasing my dream into the universe....

I have been totally inspired by Melissa at Dear Baby. As I read her words, I feel a stirring deep down inside.

Ps Brian Houston from Hillsong Church talked about how when God has instilled a dream into your heart...when you are near it or within the opportunity, you feel a strong pull towards it. You feel it kick in your soul like a kick from a baby in the womb ready for birth.

Today, I felt this....



A karate chop in my soul when I read Melissa's blog post. I always wanted to be a writer. The only reason I endure journalism for the many years in university was the passion to one day write to inspire and touch people. But then, one mean old geezer of a lecturer, managed to pop my bubble...

Moving from Malaysia to Australia was not only a cultural shock but a shock in my belief system. I was proud and confident that I was smart. Then, I walked into an Aussie journalism class....and realized that I was behind by several centuries. I never wrote a real paper-published article before, never seen a news room before, and never ever contacted some snotty politician for his opinion. I was struggling and my confidence in myself dropped so low I stopped talking in class. One day, a compulsory rounds on a case study on the board forced my stapled shut lips to utter the few words of doom...as the sun dried man before me(teacher & holder of all journalistic knowledge) loomed impatiently. He wanted my opinion on the case study, I gave it in a meek tone and I saw in slow motion....the change in his features. Surprise then disgust. I watched his face burst into flames as he screamed at me for being so stupid!

Here I was in a first world country.....advanced in all ways of civil rights...but I heard the snickers behind me as they watched the only Asian student in their class get in trouble. It was then I knew I was different. Skin colour does make a difference...cause that skin colour also means a different educational background. Barely scrapping through that class...I saw myself begging the head lecturer to let me pass. Thank God...I did. But only with wounded pride, for the only reason I passed was because the head journalism lecturer took pity on the crying Asian girl that got screamed at. (PS - She just gave birth...so woo hooo for hormones!)

So I put my dream in a box and let it flow down the River of Regret.

By the way, don't take pity on me! There is so much advantages to being Asian here...
1. Tiger Moms are the bomb. You never appreciate the nagging til you stop getting them!
2. We have BIG dreams & push ourselves hard
3. We are tiny...and can squeeze through crowds
4. Being short seems to be a novelty.....if you're thick skin enough to take the jokes
5. We know Credit Cards are evil(so we don't have any debt before the age of 25)
6. Saving money is a habit...not a everyday struggle

Going through all this...makes you tough! Tough enough to want that dream to come true....and make it come true.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home